Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Political Statement

My initial amusement when I first saw this bumper sticker was replaced by some wariness after I had some time to think about it. I am not sure if this is a comment about the American political system, a racist remark or scaremongering by the armchair zionists.

In my experience once a political party is elected to power in Western democracies they basically follow a similar agenda. It is all very well to make strong statements when one is in opposition or in the running for President, but when you actually have the power to make changes reality takes precedence over wishful thinking. All the American Presidents have been supporters of Israel and its right to exist. Maybe I am naive, but it seems that most government politicians agree that it is in the West's best interest to have a strong Israel in the Middle East.

In any case I don't think that we have to start packing our bags yet. The fact that Obama does not fit the established mould for an American President will weigh strongly against him in the elections in November. His colour and perceived leanings will more than likely mean that he will not be leader of the United States in the foreseeable future.
/