Friday, July 15, 2005

A comment from the PTB

Finally a comment from someone who says he is one of the "powers that be". I am gratified to receive this as I feel that only by dialogue can the frustration that many people feel be resolved.

I certainly dispute the statement that things are being blown out of proportion. There is a widespread dissatisfaction with the Chabad establishment in Melbourne and I believe that most of those people feel disloyal in speaking out. The advantage of a blog is that they can express their views honestly. The sooner that the administration/executive/head shaliach (= PTB) will acknowledge this dissatisfaction the sooner the issues can be resolved.

The complete comment from "Chochom" is reproduced below (since I haven't got the hang of linking to comments yet). I welcome comments on his/her opinions but say again that I will not stand for personal abuse. It is true that he mentioned Rabbi Groner but I will delete any comment that speaks about him in a disrespectful manner. Rabbi Groner has been the Rebbe's shaliach in Melbourne for the past 45 years and has worked tirelessly for the mosad. Whatever issues we have with him now don't justify disrespect.

--------------

Chochom said...

I am somewhat new to all this "blog" stuff but have been reading all these fascinating comments regarding the YCBR.

I would like to make at this point just a few initial points.

1. The extant & degree of dissatisfaction with the YCBR & the whole Melbourne Chabad community, including this nonsense term PTB, is presented by all the "bloggers" who have commented on this blog as being widespread & almost at a critical level, as if the very soul & essence of the Chabad character of our community is at risk.

Lets put things in perspective. Yes there are problems, which by the way exist in every Chabad community in the world. CH is probably the worst. Things can be improved & I do agree that people should be able to express their concerns & receive a proper hearing from the community leaders, both lay & rabbinic.

But I have the sense that the contributors to this blog really represent a small group of people, who probably due to their own personal experiences, which I can understand, have some real issues & grievances with the YCBR leadership.

The wider community, though they may obviously have concerns & complaints, probably don't have the passion & hostility evident in many of the comments made by regular contributors to this blog.

Maybe they are all just too content & "baalabatish" to give a damn. But maybe also they, on balance, recognise that we have a lot to be proud of & particularly those who have been associated with the YCBR for a long time, have seen gradual improvement & growth, both qualitatively & quantitatively. I am one of those, perhaps who you could accuse of being part of the "establishment" that remembers the YCBR in the 60's & 70's when the 1st shluchim to the YG came & the school is way better.

Secondly, though I actual agree quite strongly with all the arguments for more accountability, democratic elections etc etc.. but everyone has forgotten one of the essential features & "doctrines" of Chabad communities throughout the world i.e the notion of the "Head Shliach", who the Rebbe zatzal appointed to establish & build the community.

Now, I don't want to get into a long philosophical discussion on the pros & cons of this concept & I am very well aware of how this concept has resulted in our sister city, Sydney "self imploding" .

However, as long as Rabbi Groner is healthy & actively involved in running the YCBR, he will argue that he was (& is) the Rebbes Shliach & don't expect real progress towards "democracy" until there is a changing of the guard. This is not a criticism of Rabbi Groner, I would not be frum if not for his work, but this is the reality.

However, come that day, I am absolutely sure, that the "PTB" (which possibly includes me, depending on its definition) who are not evil, corrupt people seeking leadership for power or financial benefits, will have no choice but to reorganise the leadership of the various Mosdos in our community based upon more representative foundations.

This is both self evident, as Melbourne will never be able to replace Rabbi Groner as a strong single "Head Shliach" & is based on my own conversations with the YCBR executive members who all recognise this eventuality. Not only because of its unavoidability but also because they all think it is correct & necessary for a mature community like ours.

So much for my first contribution. A little lengthy but I thought these points were important to be acknowledged.

I don't spend a lot of time reading blogs, but I will look forward to any comments & objections raised by other contributors.

As an aside, its interesting how all the very "Chassidish" contributors who bemoan the influence of the Internet seem to be very in touch with this form of medium & have, what appears to me, ready access to the Internet & "surf" it regularly. But my views on this & other "worldy" matters versus the current trend towards insularity is for another occasion.